This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Do You Think Bible Prophecy Is True? (#BOTB Results)



If It's in the Bible, Is It True?

        One thing that I've found over the past week is that the topic of abortion can piss more people off than talking about Jesus.  But I guess nothing pisses some people off more than President Donald Trump.  I'm still hoping that during the Trump administration, and soon at that, the United States moves its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem and we build even stronger ties with Israel.  That will likely piss the whole world off and I'm ready for that.

        I don't know what other religions of the world are so grounded in prophesy as much as the Judeo-Christian tradition.  From my understanding of Islam, the Hadiths and maybe some other writings contain something they refer to as prophesy, but I see no real trustworthy prophesy of future events in any Islamic writing.  They call Mohammad a "prophet" but I'm not sure what he actually prophesied that can be put in any believable context.  Then again (oh wait for the gasps and stirrings of indignation) I don't accept Islam as truth.

        However, the prophecy of the Bible gets pretty darn specific when you start studying it all closely.  And these prophecies started coming thousands of years ago in regard to events we see coming into shape in our time.  Sure, some might say that its all just generic statements that can be applied to anytime and anything, but places are named and signs are indicated and we can see this all coming about in our age.

        There will always be the scoffers--more of them than believers--but before anyone scoffs too heartily I would encourage a closer study of the prophecies with a comparative look at world events. Is Jesus coming soon?   To me it would appear so, but I'm not going to be one to predict when.  For now I'll just be a watchman on the wall.  

         By the way, for those who are familiar with the Bible, have you noticed how much the Bible talks about walls?   So who says building walls isn't a Christian activity?  In fact, despite what some will say, to my knowledge there is no mention of building bridges in the Bible.   Well, other than a metaphorical bridge which is Jesus Christ.  

           Did I offend anyone today?   I hope not.  I didn't mean to offend, but only to tell truth as I see it.  My hope is that maybe you'll think about what I've said here and perhaps even do some research about what I've said.


Battle of the Bands Results!



     As is often the case, my latest Battle of the Bands was not easy for me to prognosticate the outcome.  However because of the more contemporary more mainstream sound I figured the win would go to the 1970's group Dogwood.  Initially that was the group I was favoring for my own vote, but as usual as the week progressed my vote wavered back and forth between the two choices.  After all I usually pick out two versions that I especially enjoy.  In the end though I decided to go with the traditional Southern Gospel sound of the Blackwood Gospel Quartet despite that strange video they had put together.  Based on the audio only I thought they captured the spirit of the song best.

     From the outset of voting, Dogwood took a rapid lead and it looked like it would be a massive win for them.  Then in the final quarter, like the Superbowl champion Patriots, BGQ raced forward as they captured most of the final votes.  Still it was not enough for a win as Dogwood maintained the lead by a mere two points.  What a contest it was!  I thank you all for voting on this song that I thought might be a turn-off to most, but things didn't turn out too badly at all.

Final Vote Tally

Blackwood Gospel Quartet     11 votes

Dogwood                                   13 votes


Holy Naamgenoot!

        As I alluded to in my BOTB post, one of the featured groups, Dogwood, was not to be confused by a very different Christian punk metal band also called "Dogwood".    This latter band which hails from the San Diego area has been around since 1993 and continues to be active.  The band has ten albums behind them as well as contributions to a number of compilation albums.  For the sake of contrast I'm offering a few of their songs for your listening pleasure--or perhaps I might call it curiosity since you might not care for their style.  I find them to be kind of interesting and it's good to hear their message attached to music that might appeal to a younger crowd.  See what you think...


Dogwood  "Feel the Burn"  (1999)





Dogwood  "Building a Better Me"  (2000)






Dogwood  "Never Die"  (1998)







Next Battle of the Bands Coming Soon!

        Another Battle of the Bands match will appear on my blog on Wednesday February 15th.  This Battle will be related to a post which will precede it next Monday the 13th--a post which may raise ire (so what else is new?) or have some of you nodding your heads in agreement.  As you might have guessed it will be another post in my  President Trump Acclimation Series .   I mean really, there are still many ridiculous voices yammering on about the President of the United States so I might as well keep debunking that nonsense.   I probably won't continue this much longer, though on the other hand, if the antis keep up their fight then maybe I'll keep pushing back.   After all, what else do I have to blog about?

         What else would you like me to talk about on this blog?   Do the controversy posts turn you off?    Would you rather I talk about writing or some such subject?




41 comments:

  1. Every prophecy regarding Jesus' coming came true.
    And I looked it up - did you know there are forty-seven countries in the world with walls around their borders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, not only did the prophecies come true, but with accurate precision. It's still somewhat amazing to me that not all the Jews accepted Jesus for who He is. I haven't heard those wall stats, but it doesn't surprise me. Strange how other countries accept the idea of border protection as normal and a right except as applies to the U.S.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Excellent Battle, Lee. And at least you had a winner.

    The prophecies in the Holy Bible (which is indeed the Word of God) are so incredibly specific that Jesus actually held the Jews accountable for knowing precisely what day He, their Messiah, would arrive.

    It's all there in the Old Testament book of Daniel. They only needed to do the math and they would have known the exact day that their Messiah was coming to present Himself as their supreme Passover sacrifice. But they didn't do the math, plus they were expecting a warrior savior, not a Man of Peace.

    Had they not made the error, Jesus would not have been crucified and we would not have an Atonement for our sins. It all worked out exactly as God foretold in the Old Testament -- ALL of it: the Messiah's arrival, His crucifixion, His Resurrection three days later, ALL of it!

    Now we're awaiting His return. We can't know the exact day, and He told us so. But He gave us signs to watch for, and every one of those signs is now manifesting rapidly.

    There are also prophecies -- which cannot fail for they come from God -- that we can use that indicate the time of His Second Coming. No, not the day, but the general period, give or take about 5 to 10 years.

    I say 2028 or 2029, and there are strong reasons for me, a serious Bible student since 1994, to predict those years. Hang on, it's going to be a bumpy ride!!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    Check out my new blog @
    (Link:] Stephen T. McCarthy Reviews...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, the ride is getting ever bumpier and I think it's gonna be really wild in the years to come. Folks should start taking heed of what is right there easily accessible in the Bible, but I guess there are movies to watch and fiction to read and few have time for old dusty books that require some thinking to read through and analyze. And it's the most interesting and fascinating book around.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. That was a close one! ☺ I went with BGQ and am sorry they lost. This "Dogwood" has quite a punk vibe. Couldn't access the first video, but the other two were interesting. Personally, I'm not a fan of religious or political posts and am less likely to comment on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie D, at least BGQ didn't have a massive loss like I was starting to expect. They made a great recovery. A lot of people don't want to mess with the political or religious posts and those are usually the most important posts to be found if they deal with truth and substance.

      Lee

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Politics and religion are highly subjective. Everyone has their own truth, how they see it. ☺ I gravitate more towards entertainment online, not serious discussions.

      Delete
    3. Debbie D, guess I'm getting too old and serious. Though on the other hand, I've always been interested in discussing opinionated topics since college and I used to think about such things before that. When you come down to it everything is subjective. Just look at the music opinions we encounter on Battle of the Bands. I think I'm as fascinated with the concepts of where truths, opinions, and preferences arise from in the first place as I am the topics themselves. It's a diverse world which is why it's such an interesting place.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. A close one this time indeed.

    haha nothing offends me, but you know what I think of the whole prophecy stuff. Vague, until you look deeper and then because you are looking you find. Is it actually there? Or is it because you want to find it that you find it? I lean toward the latter, but to each their own.

    Especially sense any such prophecy can be manipulated to how you want. Oh it will happen here, whoops, didn't happen, that means I was just wrong, it will still happen though. Oh look, it will happen here, whoops...and so on and so forth.

    Religion, the best long con ever invented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I recognize what you are saying and it's something that many say. However, there are certain things said thousands of years ago that are amazingly relevant now. And to think that so much controversy still revolves around Israel and Jerusalem is hard to dismiss for those who study it closely or even peripherally.

      But we all have a choice as to what we want to believe. And it's not up to me to condemn anyone for their beliefs.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Yeah, if more people thought that way things would be way better. I always leave the possibility open to be wrong, as that way at least you can learn and see other aspects and such.

      Delete
    3. Pat, so true--no matter how old we are or how much education we have, we should never stop learning and always be open to new knowledge. Once we think we know it all, the reality is that we know virtually nothing.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Lee, I went with the winner this round. Yay, me! I enjoy your posts, so whatever you care to share then I'm gain for reading it. This is your special space to practice your First Amendment Rights, so go for it! To answer your question, I do believe in Biblical prophecy and as my mom always says, "You better be prayed up!" This translate as be ready to meet Jesus because you don't know when that day will come. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and BoTB results, my friend. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, getting "prayed up" is wise advice, but I don't think a lot of folks are ready or do they care. I'm going to practice my First Amendment rights as long as I can, but the way things are going I don't know how long before words like I've been sharing will be considered "hate speech" or some other subversive type talk.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Lee, hopefully you can carry your torch for at least four more years and then after that we'll have to wait to see what happens. Of course, I know Blogger (WP, too) is a liberal organization and they might pull the rug out from underneath you or anyone else. Hopefully, it won't come to that, though. Have a good day!

      Delete
  6. Not every wall was made with the best of intentions. There's a reason the wall of Jericho came tumbling down. Biblical prophecies have come true in various ways throughout history. Whether people want to believe or not the bible is an essential text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheena-kay, I would imagine that the Canaanites built their wall with the best intentions of keeping out their enemies, but Israel prevailed since God was on their side and led them to bring down those walls of Jericho. But later God commanded the Israelites to construct their own walls for similar reasons. The Bible is available for anyone who wants to read what it has to say, but unfortunately a lot of people don't care and think it's mostly nonsense.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I might not always comment, but I enjoy reading what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I appreciate that, but it is nice to know when a reader has visited and a comment is the best way to let that be known. Thanks for the comment today though.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. I guess when it comes to the Bible it's everyone's opinion is their own and some like to keep quiet about it.....a bit like politics.
    Great point of view you put over Lee and I look forward to the next BOTB HAVING LOST THIS ONE.

    yVONNE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I think it's important to share the Bible as well as politics. Unfortunately those discussion can have a tendency to stir up anger and resentment. Not the way it should be.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. as for the Bible... the historical accuracy of ancient places and peoples help me a Lot in my many years of researching the ancient Mid-East...
    ... some of these ancient cultures are barely listed (if at all) in the many books we have read... very useful in correlating together lost bits of History... Have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I agree with you on that point. The Bible provides a big piece of the puzzle of long past history.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. You have to take the Bible and its prophecies as 100% true. If you're a Christian, you can't just "take it with a grain of salt" and only believe some of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, sadly, not all who call themselves Christians say they believe this and to me that would put into question the actuality of their true faith. Among the main tenants of being a follower of Jesus Christ is that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. If we don't believe that then what else can we choose not to believe?

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Well, first of all I see I snoozed through the last BOTB....


    Second, while it isn't exactly an "active religion" I would posit that Norse mythology might be the only one on a prophetic footing with the Bible. But of course, the Bible's advantage is that much of its prophecy HAS occurred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, yeah, prophecy ain't worth much unless it actually comes to pass. Not only did much Biblical prophecy already happen as predicted, but that which hasn't yet seems to be shaping up to be coming our way.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. You didn't offend me, Lee. I have a strong Faith and belief in God, so it's always nice to see someone writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie, your comment has started off my day in a positive way and we all could use more positiveness to brighten our days. Thank you!

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Nah, not offended. You are indeed a Blogger of Note and offer thoughtful flip-sides to much of the putrescent treachery (spewed by agents of intentional discord) designed to undermine the very liberties; Faith and sovereignty, that they themselves enjoy. Hypocrisy at its finest? At least we have you and your 'other hand' posts for balance ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, thank you for that vote of confidence. Comments like yours egg me on--er, I mean, encourage me.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Not offended at all. Christ Jesus has surrounded and filled me with His love. Controversy? I am not a confrontational person in most things, except when it comes to God and Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan K, if we can't stand up for Jesus Christ then we might as well just sit down and shut up. Nothing else is worth as much in the ultimate assessment.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I'm fascinated by your posts, Lee. I like the ones that make me think a little harder about your topic of the day. I'm not a good student of the bible, so can't really comment on the prophecies. I just know some profound things are going on in this world, and some of them are very scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, what's happening can be scary when looking at it from one perspective, but not scary when looking from another. As with anything, perspective counts.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. I find the bible a fascinating story book....but that's as far as it goes for me. After being translated so many times, there's no way any of it is accurate. But that's just my opinion as an atheist. I do enjoy the stories though. And I'm intrigued by the Noah's Ark thing on Mt. Ararat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, the research of the available documentation such as the Dead Sea Scrolls for example, the archaeological discoveries, and the exhaustive historical studies have shown much accuracy to many things reported in the Bible as well as showing that the many translations over the centuries have changed little. There is much correlation in all of the available evidence. The Bible when examined from beginning to end displays an amazing continuity that reveals a story that can be easily dismissed by those who don't want to take it seriously, and yet becomes life changing to those who carefully consider what is said within the pages. There is more not known that is known which is why a student of the Bible can study for a lifetime and continually discover new things within those pages. The story of Noah's Ark is a very interesting account to ponder and is but a minute part of the stories told in the Bible.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. Wow, your battle ended up being a lot more closer than I expected it to be! I'm glad Dogwood won.
    And I definitely like that Dogwood better than the younger, harder Dogwood your presented here. For sure it's for a younger crowd...

    Have a good weekend Lee.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, I figured BGQ was toast during the earliest voting but they made a great showing in the end. I like the punk Dogwood pretty well and better as I listen more.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. I think a lot of the best prophecies are open-ended instead of definitively saying exactly this will happen in exactly this place at exactly this time. When I was a teenager, I was convinced there was going to be a horrible world cataclysm in 2000, after watching the Ancient Prophecies series on NBC, and it turned out nothing happened. There's also the well-known example of the Jehovah's Witnesses constantly predicting the end of the world in a certain year and getting it wrong, and having to make new prophecies or claim they really meant something else. (They also have a lot of other strange beliefs, like thinking Jesus was crucified on a stake instead of a cross, but that's another topic!) Maybe it's a bad comparison, but it's kind of like how Jerusalem is never named in the Torah. It's always vaguely referred to in language like "the place the Lord will choose."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, There are a number of prophecies in the Old Testament that can be convincingly shown to have come to pass and that is pretty cool I think. When people start predicting the end of the world and such things and give specific dates then that gets pretty shaky. When they are proven wrong then I think that pretty well destroys any credibility that their belief might have had.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee